Streets & Utilities
- Operating, inspecting, maintaining and repairing the Village pavement, sidewalk, parking lots and traffic sign systems.
- Monitor the maintenance of streetlights and repairs to streetlights by a private contractor.
- Recommends improvements to the Village system and street-cleaning operations.
- Maintaining accurate operation and maintenance records.
- Oversees and operates the Village's snow and ice control program. Click Here for more information.
Utilities Responsibilities - Water & Sewer
The water division utilizes pump stations, storage tanks, purchased water and an extensive system of transmission and distribution lines to provide drinking water. Water is also provided for fighting fires, irrigation and processing. Several wells are maintained to provide an emergency source of water. The division also monitors and records on the use of water and responds to loss of service, low water pressureand water usage questions. The Central Lake County Joint Action Water Agency (CLCJAWA) treats and supplies raw water from Lake Michigan to member municipalities. The Village began receiving lake water in May 1992.
The Sewer Division of Utilities maintains the sanitary sewer system including the care and upkeep of the lift stations, scheduled cleaning of manholes and scheduled cleaning of sewer mains. Typical services to Village residents include responding to inquiries regarding blockages or odors. For more information on sanitary sewer back ups, please refer to the Documents & Forms page.